Saturday 15 February 2014

Day6: Leh Manali

Rohtang Tunnel

A 2km altitude drop. Manali feels warm. The road blurs away as I tried to trace it.

Ride along river Chenab which has Baralachha la as its source
The last big climb of my ride was on the most famous pass of this route: Rohtang Pass. The one that usually results in the closing of the road. The Rohtang Tunnel Project had started some years back and is almost nearing completion and probably would be ready by 2015. Tandi to Manali was a warm ride with snowline floating on the top as I rode in the valley. Ascending to the Rohtang was the dirt riding experience. Lots of slush and traffic as well. The cars that went splashing the mud overtook me but only ended up in getting enqued in the longest traffic jam I witnessed in my ride ( or may be in my life). Signs of civilization now form a continuum.


The 4km long traffic jam at rohtang. 2-wheelers could flow through the gaps but not as quick as...

Prevention! 

The downhill was too smooth and fast. Stop, take a snap.

Pleasing green


The Leh Manali stretch was complete. I was satisfied with the ride so far and yet wished that India was a bit more longer. Having missed out on Chandra Tal, Tso Moriri and Tso Kar, I have a reason (though not required) to come back sometime and ride again. Staying in north Manali away from the town was a good choice to make. The orchards are pretty. Solang is close by where I intended to trek though didn't. The night at Manali I saw light trails like a slingy. There was heavy traffic trying to cross the Rohtang at night. There are some diversions but most of these tourists vehicles do not reach beyond Keylong. The route was far less crowded. During the mornings, the traffic jam is again a long one. Probably longer than 4kms. Most of these tourists try to reach Solang/Rohtang and enjoy as:
bhasad, as is Solang

The ride from Manali to Pandoh to Chandigarh to New Delhi was a test of temparament. Chandigarh was a pleasant stay with some city touring: Sukhna Lake, war memorial and parks and the university.
Riding had become tough. It was the hot month of June while I was aclimatized for the snowy weather. The traffic felt annoying and I just pedalled hard to reach the capital on 12 June 2013 and felt satisfied with my entire ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment